[Coral-List] (Coral-List) A Swim Through Time on Carysfort Reef; EFFORT TO ASSEMBLE A LIST OF REMAINING HEALTHY CARIBBEAN CORAL REEFS.

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 11 17:06:26 UTC 2020

HI MIKE,

“ . . . We are in the middle of a

pandemic. Those countries that have done relatively well have followed

expert advice-and those experts, in the main, all said the same thing”.

I think you really hit on an important point here.

In the USA “those experts”, in the main, all said the same thing too, but what happened?

The fact of the matter is that highly qualified scientific advice is not fully valued here. It’s politicized.

Many don’t want to wear masks, including a good number of our elected “leaders”.

Many don’t trust “mainstream science” any more than they do the “mainstream media”.

Credentialed epidemiologists are rejected and hydroxychloroquine embraced.

If forced to choose between a temporary lapse in income stream or our collective health, we go with the money.

We have over 160,000 dead in a few short months, yet many accept a narrative that claims we are doing quite well.

So, what would have happened had the coral science community (biologists and geologists alike) spoken out in unison in 1985 and said to Florida “unless you get water quality under control, those reefs will die”?

I think I know the answer . . . and it makes me yell at clouds too!

Regards,

Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail