[Coral-List] Coral scientists for climate action

Franziska Elmer franziskaelmer at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 05:45:58 UTC 2020

Dear Coral list,

Our coral reefs are one of the 9 Tipping points that could be triggered by climate change. We could lose them forever. Our reefs are projected to be lost almost completely at 2 C warming, a threshold that will be reached within the life times of many of us unless there is more global action on climate change. Currently we are looking forward to a career full of tears and despair, where we work endlessly to help save our reefs while not enough action is done globally to halt climate change. The money spoken for recession relief linked to the COVID-19 crisis will likely be our last change to turn the ship around and create world were global warming does not surpass 1.5 C or 2 C (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-020-0883-0). The industries supported by this spending will likely be the industries we are locked into for the next 30 years. That is why speaking up about climate change and putting it into the media is super important right now.

Do you want more climate action? Then join us! We want to form a group of coral reef scientists that are highly concern about climate change and want to demand urgent action through creative displays/dance/theater/art that will be held on the same day all around the world. The date will likely be in early November.

If you are interested in being involved in this in any form (organizer, local participant, spreading the word) then please fill out this form and we will be in touch with you soon!
https://forms.gle/pHraacA5iNJpifUN7

Best,

Dr. Franziska Elmer and Elinor Nadir (PhD candidate)

Franziskaelmer at hotmail.com
Www.franziskaelmer.weebly.com