[Coral-List] Is it Ocean Optimism or Toxic Positivity?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 20:21:49 UTC 2020

I agree, except for the last sentence, which I would change to something
like "what would it cost to remedy the causes of coral degradation?  What
would it cost, and what would the cost be if we fail to do it??"  I think
coral restoration is treating symptoms, not the disease, and so it is
doomed to failure if we don't effectively address the causes of the
decline.  And I don't think we should just look at the costs of action,
we'd better look at the costs of inaction, because those are likely to be
much greater.  Those algae beds will not provide the fish that are the
difference between survival and not surviving for a few hundred million
people in developing countries.    Cheers, Doug

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 1:52 AM Hilary Lohmann via Coral-List <