[Coral-List] Coral scientists for climate action

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Sat Aug 29 15:24:16 UTC 2020

   Good day.

   I was catching up on the news on a rainy morning. Roger Cohn's piece in
   yesterday's NYT, about how a lie told three times becomes truth. (He
   was referring to politics in our southern neighbour, but we can't talk
   about that here.) Then onto the statement by the Premier of Ontario
   that, in order to slow the spread of Covid-19, university students
   should refrain from partying: another example of how the shrewdest
   politicians can be stunningly blind.

   Your post contains two misconceptions/errors. You have been called on
   these before, and I wish you would stop.

   You state that global warming is "the major cause of coral reef
   decline." This is obviously not so. Read Gardner 2002 again. Talk to
   Phil.

   You then again pivot to the "overpopulation" meme, which is also
   untrue. About a year ago Nicole Crain told you "Alina, there is some
   great literature I think you might consider reading to help you better
   understand the forces behind environmental destruction."

   It's not people "over there" doing it. It's people right here.

   Mike