[Coral-List] Coral reef insurance

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 5 21:57:15 UTC 2020

Hi Vassil,

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around this for some time. While I applaud the effort of “the Brigade” and would likely volunteer to help with the restoration if I lived in close proximity, I can’t help but wonder what the net effect will be especially since the major stressors responsible for wreaking havoc on the coral reefs of Quintana Roo are nowhere near being adequately addressed. I’m also wondering how long insurance companies will be willing to underwrite these policies as the frequency and intensity of hurricanes continues to increase. Once again, perhaps the best we can hope for is that efforts like this will help to raise awareness of the value of coral reefs worldwide and that that will ultimately lead to the development of the political will needed to finally come to terms with water quality issues, over-fishing and climate change.

Regards,

Steve