[Coral-List] Source for "coral occupy <1% of the seafloor but house more than 25% of species"

Benjamin Cowburn benjamindcowburn at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 14 14:30:31 UTC 2020

Hi Hanny et al.,
I have just always assumed this 25% of biodiversity claim is bogus. As you
are discovering, finding the original reference is challenging and even
when you get there it doesn't seem quite right. Also as other people have
pointed out in this thread, modern information and tools have updated the
distribution of coral reefs and understanding of biodiversity.
What I think is a more interesting question is -* what do we do with this
fact now?*
*Pure Scientist Opinion: *Knowing the actual number of species on reefs is
important and a further analysis should be done to reassess this fact.
*Practical Opinion:* This fact has been recycled and regurgitated by
numerous authors, journalists and governments. Casting doubt around its
validity may damage the reputation of coral reef science and make decision
makers less inclined to listen to us. More-over I don't imagine the public
is interested in the real number, and just getting the message 'many
species in a small area' is sufficient, whichever way this is communicated.

Out of curiosity, why are you on this quest?
Cheers,
Benjo

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 at 17:53, Hanny Rivera via Coral-List <