[Coral-List] Clarifications re: Allen Coral Atlas

David Blakeway fathom5marineresearch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 08:40:57 UTC 2020

I think we should recognize the inherent difficulty of automated global
reef mapping. There's no way a single algorithm can do it. If the Allen
maps are only 75% correct, or even 50% correct, that's a significant
achievement to build on. Machine learning will do it, given enough ground
truth points.
Although I understand Vassil's disappointment about the missing Golfo de
Guacanayabo reef - possibly the world's largest Holocene reef?? (by volume)

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 1:46 AM Helen Fox via Coral-List <