[Coral-List] Source for "coral occupy <1% of the seafloor but house more than 25% of species"

Emma Kennedy e.kennedy1 at uq.edu.au
Thu Dec 17 00:12:12 UTC 2020

Hi Hanny,

I always thought the <1% came from the World Atlas of Coral Reefs (Spalding, M., Ravilious, C. & Green, E. University of California Press, 2001).

The UNEP-WCMC World Atlas of Coral Reefs map produced allowed an estimate of global shallow reef extent, concluding that “shallow coral reefs worldwide occupy some 284,300 sq km – “half the size of Madagascar, less than 1.2% of the world’s continental shelf area and only 0.089% of the total area of the worlds oceans”

Historic estimates of coral reef area have ranged from 255,000 (Spalding and Grenfell 1997) to 1,500,000 km2 (Copper, 1994) (Copper 1994) and from approximately 0.1–0.5% of the ocean floor. Some variability is to do with the method used: direct calculation from maps vs more predictive techniques based on reefal shelf area. And of course some of these differences are to do with how “coral reef” is defined. For example, Copper (1994) disagreed with the exclusion of “inter-reef tract”, suggesting that its inclusion might expand Smith and Crossland’s estimates to 1.5 million sq km (Copper 1994).

Recently, a team at Arizona State University used convolutional neural networks to generate a globally consistent coral reef probability map—a probabilistic estimate of the geospatial extent of reef ecosystems—combining a global mosaic of high spatial resolution Planet satellite imagery with regional Millennium Coral Reef Mapping Project reef extents to build training, validation, and application datasets. This new estimate gave a global extent range of 154,049 km2 to 301,110 km2, I think this is the most recent estimate of global shallow tropical coral reef extent! (Li, J. et al. A global coral reef probability map generated using convolutional neural networks. Coral Reefs, doi:10.1007/s00338-020-02005-6 (2020).)

Cheers!

Emma

Atmospheric CO2 this month: 412.89 ppm. It was 410.25 ppm last December (2019)
Dr. Emma Kennedy | Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Remote Sensing Research Centre | Room 416a | Level 4 | Chamberlain Building (#35)
University of Queensland | St Lucia QLD 4072 | Turrbal Country | Australia
tel +61 7 334 67405 | email e.kennedy1 at uq.edu.au  | skype @em_kennedy
website kennedymarine.org | twitter @reef_scientist