[Coral-List] Octopus punches fishes

Shimrit Perkol-Finkel sperkol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 14:21:26 UTC 2020

Amazing!

Thank you for sharing! I recognized the site from the first frame of the
video - I once did a small project on interactions between octopus and
fish/moray eels in the Eilat IUI marine station, and indeed it's an amazing
behaviour.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 3:52 PM Eduardo Sampaio via Coral-List <

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it!
> Although biased because I work with them, I have to agree that they are one
> of the most engaging creatures to dive with.
> First time I saw one punch a fish, I almost chocked on my reg while
> laughing!
>
> Best wishes, and happy holidays,
> Eduardo
>
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 19:12, Michael Newkirk <michaeljnewkirk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Eduardo,
> >
> > Fascinating videos! I've had my own experiences watching octopuses hunt
> > and engage in other activity, and they're my most memorable experiences
> in
> > the water. Thank you for sharing! Stay safe.
> >
> > Warm regards,
> >
> > Michael Newkirk.
> > Chief Editor
> > Words rU
> >

> > On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 3:16 AM Eduardo Sampaio via Coral-List <
> > coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I wanted to share with you our
> >> latest paper showing that octopuses punch fishes during collaborative
> >> hunting in coral reefs. This is the first of our ongoing project on
> these
> >> multi-species groups, and both pdf and relevant materials can be found
> >> freely available here:
> >>
> >>  https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ecy.3266
> >>
> >> The videos are the heart of the paper, so I highly recommend checking
> them
> >> out on the Supplemental Information menu.
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >> Eduardo

*Shimrit Perkol-Finkel, Ph.D.*
+972 549 840850