[Coral-List] A student's guide to the h-index

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Thu Dec 31 21:15:43 UTC 2020

This has been an interesting thread, so I went back and looked at some of
the discussions about its use in cycling - where it was apparently created.
For those who have not tracked this down, "h" appears to be a number that
states "some rider" with a given h-score has ridden that number of rides of
that length. By way of example, a rider who has ridden 70 rides of 70 miles
would have an "h-score" of 70 - certainly better than a rider who has
ridden 2 rides of 2 miles. The problem is that, because the number is
non-dimensional, a rider who has ridden 70 rides of 70 miles has the same
score as a rider who has ridden 70 rides of 70 km (example in Google). And,
by extension, a rider who has ridden 70 rides of 70 cm will have the same
score as one who has ridden 70 rides of 70 km. If I apply this analogy
correctly to our discussion, a rider who rides 2 rides of 2500 km will
receive no merit badge and, therefore has no standing compared to the one
who rode 70 rides of 70 m.

More to the point, consider the poor graduate student who has published
only their second paper, but it is cited by 25,000 readers. (S)he either
doesn't qualify in this ranking... or would receive a maximum score of 2
(i.e., the same as published only two papers with two readers each). At the
other extreme, some prolific author (but whose research was so egregious
that their 2000 papers were typically cited in cited in 2000 rebuttals
would be an "h-god". If I am correct, Mike's statement, "Don't we conclude
from your two points that the h-index is a big big problem?" ranks near
infinity when it comes to an h-ranking?

Dennis

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 10:15 AM David Blakeway via Coral-List <