[Coral-List] short article: restoration value

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 10 04:54:47 UTC 2020

Hi Doug,

That letter in Science, “Marine Restoration Projects Undervalued” raised some interesting points. In it, the authors are suggesting that forest habitat rehabilitation is an example of a similar endeavor that receives more in the way of universal appreciation. By comparison, coral restoration is more likely to be (unfairly) subjected to a much more pessimistic view. They also warn of the dangers of relying on global reductions in atmospheric carbon as the only solution. As you said, this perspective provides plenty of fodder for thought and discussion, but beyond that I came across another paper that I thought was pertinent.
 It draws further on the comparison between tropical forests and coral reefs and how we might best strategize to promote ecosystem adaptation and resilience. It’s entitled “Climatic and Local Stressor Interactions Threaten Tropical Forests and Coral Reefs”.
The authors of this paper seem to put more emphasis on the need for international cooperation and policies designed to reduce CO2 emissions.

 I thought that you and others might find it thought provoking as well.
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rstb.2019.0116

Regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad