[Coral-List] climate change could kill all reefs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 21 22:19:05 UTC 2020

Hi Dennis,

Here are a few links to papers/articles that discuss the viability of moving corals to preferred habitats in order to offset warming conditions. Of course, assisted migration as a strategy for coral survival under conditions associated with rapid climate change raises lots of questions just as many current restoration efforts do.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-014-1145-2

https://www.nap.edu/read/25279/chapter/6

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1312/7/7/201/htm

https://www.newswise.com/articles/coral-immigrants-provide-hope-for-reefs-facing-climate-change

https://nsac.law.miami.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Bartz-Final.pdf

I thought this recent paper was of particular interest for it provides an assessment of assisted migration vs. assisted evolution of corals on reefs under increasing stress from climate change.    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-12065-0

Regards,
Steve Mussman

Sent from my iPad