[Coral-List] climate change could kill all reefs

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 25 21:00:44 UTC 2020

Hi Doug,

One of the papers I cited to Dennis provides a comprehensive risk/benefit analysis of assisted coral migration.

https://nsac.law.miami.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Bartz-Final.pdf

A cautionary note is summarized in the conclusion (below) and I believe applies to more conventional restoration efforts as well.

I would just add that I don’t believe the authors were implying that climate change is by any means the only threat. Local stressors undoubtedly would be included in the “newfound regulatory frameworks” as they would require remediation as well if we are to have any real hope of averting the unfolding disaster before us.

“Curbing climate change is the only way that corals will ultimately survive. Staged withdrawal may incentivize high-latitude coral refugia for the time being, but these populations are threatened by the onset of ocean acidification, which occurs on a longer time horizon than ocean warming. Though the coral reef, due to its vociferous response to climate change as voiced through the scientific outcry in response to recent declines, may be considered a proverbial canary in the coalmine, this is not a constructive metaphor as the humble canary succumbs to the toxic air in the end; humankind cannot allow coral reefs to perish. Our instrumental and intrinsic dependence on the continued function of coral reef ecosystems should merit newfound regulatory frameworks and climate change mitigation”.

Regards,

Steve

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail