[Coral-List] more coral papers: bleaching, interventions, calcification

Neus Figueras neus.fi.ba at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 11:14:52 UTC 2020

Thanks for your answer, Doug. I meant thermohaline circulation and the
possibility that it would influence the surface temperature. NOAA has a
diagram here
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_currents/05conveyor2.html
Cheers,

[image: photograph]
Neus Figueras
Marine Scientist & Author
www.ImWithLorac.com <http://www.imwithlorac.com/>
[image: facebook icon] <https://www.facebook.com/ImWithLorac> [image:
twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/NeusMarine> [image: linkedin icon]
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/neus-figueras-bala%C3%B1a/> [image: instagram
icon] <https://www.instagram.com/neusmarine/>

El vie., 3 ene. 2020 a las 9:58, Douglas Fenner (<
douglasfennertassi at gmail.com>) escribió:

> [...]
> diagram of the basics.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_current#/media/File:Corrientes-oceanicas.png
>      So currents usually carry warm water away from the tropics, and cold
> water towards the tropics.
> Cheers,  Doug
>
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 8:22 AM Neus Figueras <neus.fi.ba at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> From *A key to bleaching events?  Location, location, location*, it
>> reads “Corals from East Africa to the central Indian Ocean experienced high
>> levels of bleaching, whereas those farther east, in places like Fiji,
>> seemed to fare somewhat better”. If you picture the ocean conveyor belt,
>> you’ll see that it trasnsports cold water along East Africa and to the
>> central Indian Ocean, and warm water farther east. One hypothesis would be
>> that corals in places like Fiji are used to a slightly higher temperature.
>>
>> [image: photograph]
>> Neus Figueras
>> Marine Scientist & Author
>> www.ImWithLorac.com <http://www.imwithlorac.com/>
>> [image: facebook icon] <https://www.facebook.com/ImWithLorac> [image:
>> twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/NeusMarine> [image: linkedin icon]
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/neus-figueras-bala%C3%B1a/> [image:
>> instagram icon] <https://www.instagram.com/neusmarine/>
>>

>> El lun., 30 dic. 2019 a las 16:35, Douglas Fenner via Coral-List (<
>> coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>) escribió:
>>
>>> A key to bleaching events?  Location, location, location.
>>>

>>> https://eos.org/articles/a-key-to-coral-bleaching-events-location-location-location
>>>

>>> Forecasting global coral bleaching
>>>
>>> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-019-0593-7
>>>
>>>  Temperature patterns and mechanisms influencing coral bleaching during
>>> the
>>> 2016 El Nino.
>>>
>>> https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-019-0576-8
>>>
>>> Report examines new tools to protect coral reefs
>>>
>>> https://eos.org/articles/report-examines-new-tools-to-protect-coral-reefs
>>>
>>> A decision framework for interventions to increase the persistence and
>>> resilience of coral reefs
>>>

>>> https://www.nap.edu/catalog/25424/a-decision-framework-for-interventions-to-increase-the-persistence-and-resilience-of-coral-reefs
>>>

>>> pdf free download
>>>
>>> “Coral interventions that address the impacts of ocean warming and ocean
>>> acidification are part of a three-pronged approach for coral reef
>>> management that crucially also includes the mitigation of greenhouse gas
>>> emissions and the alleviation of local stressors.”
>>>
>>> Sea level rise may activate growth of some reef islands
>>>

>>> https://eos.org/research-spotlights/sea-level-rise-may-reactivate-growth-of-some-reef-islands
>>>

>>> Coral reef island initiation and development under higher than present
>>> sea
>>> levels.
>>>
>>>  https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2018GL079589
>>>
>>> Dead reefs keep calcifying but only by day

>>> and: