[Coral-List] Dive Industry Still Lacking

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 4 23:35:35 UTC 2020

So, I would like to know why the skiing industry gets it and the diving industry remains immobilized and mostly quiescent. Seems to me that these two industries are in competition for the same demographic and both stand to lose out considerably if climate change and other human activity-based threats continue unabated.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/29122019/ski-resorts-climate-change-risk-activism-voters-congress-election-winter-sports

The only explanation I can come up with is that the (US) scuba industry is dominated by people who are unmoved by the science while the skiing industry apparently has more in the way of progressive-thinking leadership.

I’ve always believed that the scuba industry had an inherent responsibility to promote activism from within their ranks for the same reason that skiing does. While one relies on coral reefs and one on snow, both livelihoods are directly threatened.

The surfing industry seems to understand even though the impacts of climate change on that sport are less certain.   https://www.surfrider.org/priority-campaigns/climate-change

Then, there’s this quote from: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gypeaj/by-2050-climate-change-will-be-turning-into-a-bummer-for-surfers  “The deaths of corals have devastating and far-reaching effects that have nothing at all to do with surfing. By 2050, the rocklike coral structures that make up coral reefs will likely still be there even if most of the corals are dead. That means those wave breaks will still occur for the foreseeable future, but like so many non-apocalyptic effects of climate change, all that dead coral is going to be a buzzkill by 2050”.

I’d say that buzzkill is already here.

Regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad