[Coral-List] Global Coral Reef Week – don’t miss out!

Franziska Elmer franziskaelmer at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 21 14:50:42 UTC 2020

2020 is going to be a very important year, as it is the last year our global carbon emissions can exceed the previous year’s emissions. In this year we have to make a lot of noise to inspire actions to save the coral reefs, and many other ecosystems on this planet that support our survival.

That is why a team of coral reef scientists are organizing research sharing and networking events as part of Global Coral Reef Week. Similar to FridaysforFuture and Extinction rebellion, Global Coral Reef Week will consist of local events held around the same time with the same message. During Global Coral Reef Week, coral reef scientists around the world will invite their colleagues, resource managers, students, teachers into their universities or research stations to share coral reef science and to network. Together they will go outside of their work place to do outreach that benefits their local environment or community such as beach clean ups, coral ladder cleaning, school visits etc. And they will send an unified message about saving coral reefs through media and social media.

When is Global Coral Reef Week?

 Most events will take place between the 13th and 19th of July 2020

 Who can organize/take part in an event?

 Any coral reef scientists or practitioner.

 What is the minimal requirements for an event?

  *   Shows at least one of the recorded plenaries from Global Coral Reef Week
  *   Offers a networking opportunity after the viewing with some light refreshments
  *   Has an outreach component that helps the local environment or community
  *   Free or low cost attendance

What else can I have at my event?

  *   Live plenary talk(s) by top scientists from your region
  *   Talk or poster session for local scientists to share their research
  *   Workshops
  *   Talks or presentations by individuals from your region that champion solutions to the problems coral reefs are facing
  *   Fieldtrips

Adding addition content is up to the local organisation committees who will be responsible for organizing this content. They depend largely on how much time you have to commit to this event and what your local community is interested in. Keep in mind that organizing any of these but especially a local talk and poster session is very time intensive.

Chelsie Counsell is organizing a Coral Reef Week research event in Honolulu that will include local research talks, screened plenary talks, networking, and workshops. Franziska Elmer is organizing exciting plenary talks tailored to the wider Caribbean region which can be shown at any worldwide event. She will also help Caribbean locations to find funding for refreshments and any other unavoidable costs that come up. Make sure you indicated interest and have a plan of events ready by February 28th to profit from this. If you are not located in the Caribbean or Hawaii, you can still organize an event but due to time constraints, we may not be able to help you find sponsors and local plenary speakers if you begin organizing your event after February 28th.

Interested? Email us with any questions at globalcoralreefweek at posteo.net<mailto:globalcoralreefweek at posteo.net> and learn more about our event at coralreefweek.org<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/coralreefweek.org__;!!KGKeukY!isMC94s_DMUMTrGBBHYWrfWXFUBLsX2rzWxCExpZycGQH4jL3ikyGkTe2Vt-hfzfNQ$>.

Best,

Global Coral Reef Week team