[Coral-List] Reminder - Sign On: Science Community Letter for Florida Keys Restoration

Nicole Crane nicrane at cabrillo.edu
Tue Jan 28 16:52:44 UTC 2020

Hi all,
I must say this is probably one of the most important conversations on this
forum.  It goes to the heart of the issue of conservation (speaking
domestically).  Steve is right in unfortunate ways.  All the great science,
all the great testimony, all the great expert panels, all the many many
publications read by the 'choir', are very hard pressed to move the
political establishment that ultimately has to listen to that science (this
includes NOAA as a federal agency).  Not that NOAA scientists don't care,
but they are caught in the same system.  We have discussed the need to
interface more effectively with voters as well as politicians, but its very
difficult, and most scientists aren't trained to do that (and
importantly most do NOT get rewarded for doing so). This really does
leaven us in a rough place.

We will move this environmental protection needle too slowly to make the
difference that is needed unless we can get people to understand and care,
and relay that to their politicians.  I dont have the answer here.  But I
can clearly see the problem (at least one big one).  One way is to get a
big and important voting block to turn their attention to it.  I submit
that one such block are the young people.  And they are aware and angry.
But they aren't voting. If we can somehow make that connection for them to
direct their concern at their political system, I imagine that politicians
may start paying more attention. Teachers, faculty, people who interface
with the public: Maybe our message needs to be less about the details of
the problems and more about how to solve them?  Or at least that clear
message about the power of the vote and action behind it?

We need a leader here!!!  To all those foundations out there: if we put
some real money behind a youth campaign (connected of course to the wise
elders out there...:) to change policy and start listening to science and
scientists about environmental impacts I'll bet we can more that needle a
bit faster and farther...oh and it needs to be bipartisan (or non partisan)
Nicole

Nicole L. Crane
Faculty, Cabrillo College
Natural and Applied Sciences
www.cabrillo.edu/~ncrane

Senior Conservation Scientist, Project co-lead
One People One Reef
onepeopleonereef.org

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 6:54 AM DeeVon Quirolo via Coral-List <