[Coral-List] Reminder - Sign On: Science Community Letter for Florida Keys Restoration

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 28 17:22:57 UTC 2020

Steve,

Then NOAA or whichever authority has ultimate oversight responsibilities should clearly articulate the fact that we could fix the problem, but can’t really do anything about it because there remains a general lack of resolve on the part of the American public, affected business entities and government institutions.

Why waste time and money on projects that only serve to promote false hopes?

The way in which these restoration and coral reef management programs are framed gives the (false) impression that we are well on our way to solving the problem when in fact we are only making things worse by participating in a charade based on the premise that we, the American public, simply can’t handle the truth. I see this all the time in the diving industry and their approach is effectively validated when government agencies follow suit. When I express thoughts and ideas like Phil has put forth, I get nothing but push back that confirms that the delusion has taken hold.

How are we even going to have a fighting chance to save coral reef ecosystems if awareness of the basic processes that enable reefs to survive are systematically obscured?

Steve Mussman

Sent from my iPad