[Coral-List] Reminder - Sign On: Science Community Letter for Florida Keys Restoration

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 28 18:49:50 UTC 2020

Hiya, Phil!  Long time no see (like maybe since Ofu? :-D)  See below.

On 1/28/20 1:08 AM, Dustan, Phillip via Coral-List wrote:
>   If NOAA is serious about  coral reef restoration then begin with a few of the basics to restore the habitat:
> Fix the water quality- stop pumping nutrient-laden water into the environment.
This is not NOAA's mission (fixing, I mean), but see next.
> Remove land-based sourced of pollution.
It's not NOAA's mission to _remove_ sources, though we have a specific
"pillar" of research in our Coral Reef Conservation Program that has
been allocated with no small change to continue to research the effects
of LBSP and do what we can to advise Congress and policy makers.  We
can't make them change, though, but LOUD VOICES from The People
certainly helps, if only they would (in greater numbers). But I'm not
asking (lobbying).
> Stop taking all live organisms from the system - as in fishing and other forms of harvest to let stocks reach natural levels once again.
Now that is a political hot potato because it involves peoples'
livelihoods, as well as most likely designation of new protected areas,
which draws upon the research.  Again, NOAA's National Marine Fisheries
Service can advise, but they can't make the laws.
> Begin high level reduction of atmospheric CO2.
Jeez, don't get me started on that.  "Some people" refuse to believe
there even IS a high level of CO2!
> Regrow stock of Diadema antillarum to increase levels of herbivory.

Now THAT is a great line of research that I myself would like to become
engaged in, and because of my history in aquaculture (before NOAA), I've
been asked if I can help look into an initiative for aquaculture at our
Lab, but that is a huge undertaking, and would likely require an
appropriation from Congress.  I'm not allowed to lobby Congress, but YOU
and everybody else on this list probably could, if they wanted to! But
I'm not asking you to.

By the way, we (AOML) are doing some great research on resiliency of
stressed corals for use in outplanting, as well as in LBSP and in
climate change, so we're not exactly sitting on our hands over here.
$26M a year goes specifically to NOAA from Congress to research corals.
There are so many projects that are great, but there are only so many
nickels and dimes to go around.  From my perspective, NOAA's Coral Reef
Conservation Program does an outstanding and very conscientious job in
trying to manage priorities strategically.

Yeah, I grew up in Fort Lauderdale and the Keys.  I remember what it
used to look like, as do you.  It's sad and frustrating, no doubt about
that.

     Your pal in the field, Jim

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    James C. Hendee <http://www.coral.noaa.gov/people/jim-hendee.html>,
    Ph.D.
    Director, Ocean Chemistry and Ecosystems Division
    Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
    4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
    Miami, Florida  33149-1026
    Voice: 305 361-4396
    Fax: 305 361-4392