[Coral-List] Global Coral Reef Week kick off!

Franziska Elmer franziskaelmer at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:56:20 UTC 2020

Dear Corallist,

Celebrate with us the first day of our free virtual coral reef conference Global Coral Reef Week.

Our core mission was to create an event with low CO2 emissions and high access to science and we are excited to kick off the first Global Coral Reef Week with you today! Below you find the links to our 10 youtube channels with more than 100 research talks as well as to the live plenaries, live talk sessions and networking events. We encourage you to carve out some time in the next two weeks to watch the talks and participate in the workshops that interest you. If you have questions for the presenters after watching the talks or want to connect with them, you can ask them in the comment section below the video. Visit our website for a complete list of abstracts<https://shoutout.wix.com/so/45NC9lmZA/c?w=nHbqdvxyqc8FXULj1-E8Y_c42Q74W8GY62UYnDPhqcg.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly9jb3JhbHJlZWZ3ZWVrLndpeHNpdGUuY29tL2NvcmFscmVlZndlZWsvcmVzZWFyY2h0YWxrcyIsInIiOiJiNGY0N2I3Yy03OWMxLTQ1YzQtYWYxOS1mNTlmNGQ0NjkxNjUiLCJtIjoibWFpbCIsImMiOiIwMDAwMDAwMC0wMDAwLTAwMDAtMDAwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAifQ>, description of workshops<https://shoutout.wix.com/so/45NC9lmZA/c?w=e8Rwqs6R-fk_QHIxnAmNpe-q_uJtF1GN1fs8eN1ryyM.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly9jb3JhbHJlZWZ3ZWVrLndpeHNpdGUuY29tL2NvcmFscmVlZndlZWsvY29uZmVyZW5jZS13b3Jrc2hvcHMiLCJyIjoiYjRmNDdiN2MtNzljMS00NWM0LWFmMTktZjU5ZjRkNDY5MTY1IiwibSI6Im1haWwiLCJjIjoiMDAwMDAwMDAtMDAwMC0wMDAwLTAwMDAtMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAwIn0> and to sign up for our exciting live content <https://shoutout.wix.com/so/45NC9lmZA/c?w=gAKrGD3omr5FeQ023PHqbFm9uvF38MhlyPmysgedXdM.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly9jb3JhbHJlZWZ3ZWVrLndpeHNpdGUuY29tL2NvcmFscmVlZndlZWsvcHJvZ3JhbS1jb250ZW50IiwiciI6ImI0ZjQ3YjdjLTc5YzEtNDVjNC1hZjE5LWY1OWY0ZDQ2OTE2NSIsIm0iOiJtYWlsIiwiYyI6IjAwMDAwMDAwLTAwMDAtMDAwMC0wMDAwLTAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMCJ9> that runs from the 6th to the 10th of July.

Invite your friends and colleagues, it is not to late to join our conference! This virtual conference is completely free thanks to sponsorship from The Company of Biologists, Tradewind Colours, Marine Conservation without Borders, as well as financial support and donated from colleagues.

Best,

Franziska, Chelsie and Judy

Global Coral Reef Week Organisation Committee

Workshops:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a9TVRBW7XXJNoGwxGGkaT1Z

Research talks:

Conservation, management, intervention and restoration: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a-Ojb25Wh0yAu1vb6rLweFE

Ecology: Population dynamics and connections within the ecosystem: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a8stWBndg2I3wjS-_7sHljC

Human relations to the reef, Global and local impacts: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a-yQewYUoKmB9SdX7uLSiR7

Outreach and Education: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a_HatnjySOhMON3al3ZIcZx

Novel methods and technology: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a-MI6WsSToybywo7JLTRdun

Physiology, adaptation and acclimation: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a90TpjGgRqzRfEWsIsgx1r6

Deep Reef/Deep Sea: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a8eF-c3SXTNNvyPdrpwvpHj
Resilience and phase shift: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a-54GNIbQpfY7Qbr2RsMaxE
Ecosystem functions and services: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCjKR2LY1a9j0o93EAMboh14IMa3Hi7P

Live plenaries (3-4 PM EST):
6th July  Coral Reefs and Diseases
Relevance of histology in pathological investigation by Assistant Prof. Esther Peters and Assistant Prof. Jennifer Salerno from George Mason University
The coral reef tourism pandemic by Dr. Phil Dustan from College of Charleston
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/5815936031669/WN_4s8g-TvHSb2ZSlmp5Ww0bA

7th July Management and Conservation
Evaluating the impacts of coral reef management by Assistant Prof. David Gill
The impact of Sargassum brown tides on Mexican Caribbean coasts by Dr. Brigitta van Tussenbroek
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/6115936032804/WN_su5G0pEkQTO7LlprjcM8yw

8th July From Shallow reefs to Deep Sea
Nassau grouper research in The Bahamas by Dr. Krista Sherman
The Hidden Habitats in the Caribbean Depths by Dr. Diva Amon
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/6715936034656/WN_bFwuecxYTiOcYQxpTe--Zw

9th July Local Communities: Outreach and Climate Change
Local Communities: Outreach and Climate Change by Dr. Neil Oculi
Indigenous language environmental education by Robby Thigpen
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/6715936035676/WN_CF7An-bmS7S5uhVovK9wkg

10th July Why I have hope
Dr. Judy Lang will provide concluding remarks to the first Global Coral Reef Week conference.
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/4015936036585/WN_3z9Siy1fRS2-sJikDXd1dQ

Live talk sessions

7th July 1-2:45 PM EST Technological advances in reef studies

A scientific talk session organized by our Brazilian colleagues from Encontro Recifal.
- Dr. Leandro Godoy presents on The Reef Bank Project
- Prof. Letícia Costa-Lotufo presents on Integrative approach on the sustainable
prospection of marine natural products
- Prof. Luiz Rocha talks about Using advanced technical diving for deep reef exploration
- Prof. Raquel Peixoto informs us about Customized medicine for corals
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/8915936038280/WN_OTRtd8N5RS2W6o87YIfTtQ

9th July 1-2 PM EST Cayo Arca/Campeche Reef
Cayo Arcas is a complex reef system of high ecological and economic relevance in south Gulf of
Mexico, located in a very biologically productive zone at east Campeche Bay. The system is
occupied by several species of economic and ecological interest, where regional and international
relevant extractive activities occur. A particularity of this system is that it harbors the most
important oil sales-point in Mexico, and provoking significant industrial activity in this region. This
context represents a challenge for harmonizing extractive activities and ecological management in
this socioecosystem, while sustaining its ecological integrity and coexisting with human activities.
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/4915936039902/WN_iMpkGtgMQwu0mvzhBvfqJQ

10 July 12-2 PM Solutions from the Mesoamerican Reef
This session is organized by Healthy Reefs for Healthy People and consisist of ten
presentation focussing on healthy wathersheds, healthy fisheries and giving nature
a hand through restoration of structure and function.See the full program of this session: https://coralreefweek.wixsite.com/coralreefweek/mesoamerica
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/1315936041135/WN_w2jXRhz-RFSdzVygFqOrNQ

Networking events:
6th of July 4:15-5 PM EST: virtual happy hour/coffee break
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYrcOqrrzgrGNcEMU43T_zcl3EA-Jy0vcr4

9th of July 2:15-2:45 PM EST: virtual happy hour/coffee break
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAodu-rpz4jHNDUQeM8aYOvgL-k-6CJaW27

10th of July 4:15-6:15 PM EST: Coral Reef Trivia
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYuf-uhrT8uHd0gJuqTRH5KdCUZYD4i81Bx
Email team name and emailaddresses of team members to globalcoralreefweek at posteo.de by the 9th of July if you want to make your own team of up to 5 people