[Coral-List] Florida SCTLD Bulletin

Martinelli,Maurizio M mmartinelli1 at ufl.edu
Mon Jul 20 16:57:15 UTC 2020

Hello Coral-Listers,

Since 2014, Florida has been experiencing a persistent outbreak of stony coral tissue loss disease (SCTLD). This disease affects roughly half of Florida's coral species -- including all our major framework builders, corals that contribute substantially to coral cover, and ESA-listed species -- and has led to significant declines of affected species in impacted areas. Outside Florida, SCTLD has now been reported in several Caribbean jurisdictions, including Jamaica, Mexico, St. Maarten, U.S. Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos Islands, Belize, St. Eustatius, Puerto Rico, and the Bahamas.

Due to the severity and longevity of this outbreak in Florida, a response has coalesced among management agencies, researchers, conservation practitioners, non-governmental organizations, aquariums, and engaged citizens. Here, the response is led by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and National Park Service.

Our partners produce a quarterly bulletin to provide high-level updates on the SCTLD outbreak and response efforts, with a focus on Florida. We expect to circulate our next bulletin in the coming weeks. To receive this quarterly Florida SCTLD Response Bulletin in your inbox, please send an email to Coral at FloridaDEP.gov with the subject line "Sign me up for SCTLD bulletin."

For general information and news related to the Florida response efforts, please visit: https://floridakeys.noaa.gov/coral-disease/
Technical information on the SCTLD response can be found here: https://floridadep.gov/rcp/coral/content/stony-coral-tissue-loss-disease-response
Information pertinent to the wider Caribbean region can be found at: https://www.agrra.org/coral-disease-outbreak/

Best regards,