[Coral-List] A Swim Through Time on Carysfort Reef; EFFORT TO ASSEMBLE A LIST OF REMAINING HEALTHY CARIBBEAN CORAL REEFS

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Fri Jul 31 20:38:52 UTC 2020

Hi Steven:

I agree with the gist of your post, but feel the need to restate one of your messages:

 Coral reefs are not unique in their state of deterioration.  Glaciers and ice caps are melting away, temperature zones are migrating poleward seriously affecting all terrestrial ecosystems, forests are being felled at alarmed speeds with less than half of forests remains on Earth,  oceans are vastly overfished, coastal zones are polluted and modified by urbanization and other major development.  Less and less is left of the natural world as the human plague spreads over the Earth .

Yes fossil fuel emissions is one way in which we are killing Gaia, but everything every one of us does in being alive each day is a part of the problem.  The equation describing human impact on the global, regional and local environments is an integration of the sum of everything we do. And human population has almost tripled since scuba was invented and the study of coral reefs began. Thus no wonder coral reefs are in decline along with every other ecosystem on Earth (the exception may be deserts which seem to be doing well).

And yet everyone still focuses on fossil fuel and not direct human impact.  Overfishing has nothing to do with fossil fuels. Plus, fossil fuels and numbers of humans are intricately intertwined.  We will never be fossil fuel independent if we (human society) is always playing catch up with increased numbers of humans to support.

Covid will not do its job of culling our numbers because a cure and vaccine will soon be found as we have for all earlier diseases.  We've killed off most of natural predators.  Many societies refuse to consider population control.  So the human species is breaking all the laws of ecology and sustainability. We are a hoard of lemmings headed towards rhe cliffs. And coral reefs are just one of the many victims of our hubris.

Sadly,

Alina

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.