[Coral-List] MPA advice

vero .... vero_ecdl_ at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 5 17:44:43 UTC 2020

Dear all,
I hope this email finds you well. My name is Veronica Relano. I am working on a PhD under the supervision of Dr Daniel Pauly, the Principal Investigator of the Sea Around Us (www.seaaroundus.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.seaaroundus.org_&d=DwMF-g&c=u6LDEWzohnDQ01ySGnxMzg&r=2reY4vI5r3MnH33NENFcpA&m=dk5lap28iI9Jlw3nRW9-QWN0Dnlx3Cd25tIjo91jbyE&s=h_-8TAcSmnsrY4-GwYI9HN-NTbAFYkF2nJB50JvAXB4&e=>), a research initiative at the University of British Columbia, in Vancouver, Canada.
We are conducting a study on the current level of effectiveness of MPAs all around the world, and we are sending an email with just ONE QUESTION to every person with knowledge about the MPAs of our study. However, for some MPAs, we have received very few responses (see list below). We would really appreciate it if you could answer the following question for any of these MPAs. And if you know someone that could also help us, please feel free to loop them and forward our email.
What do you think is the current levels of fishing operation in the below-mentioned MPA? (click one of the 4 possible answers below and returned the answer back to me: v.relano at oceans.ubc.ca<mailto:v.relano at oceans.ubc.ca>)

Very intense fishing

Moderate fishing

Light fishing

No fishing

Shoal Bay & Island Harbour (Anguilla)
Rose Atoll (America Samoa)
Terres Australes Françaises [Strict Marine Protection Zone] (French Southern Territories)
Low Bay Sanctuary (Antigua and Barbuda)
Coral Sea (Australia)
Gizilaghaj State Nature Reserve (Azerbaijan)
Vlaamse Banken (Belgium)
Jewfish Cay Marine Reserve (The Exumas) (Bahamas)
Saint-Barthélemy National Nature Reserve (Saint-Barthélemy)
Pulu Keeling (in Cocos Island)
DanDongYaLvJiangKouBingHai Wetlands National Nature Reserve (China)
North Sound Replenishment Zone (Cayman Islands)
Llevant de Mallorca/Cala Rajada (Spain)
Merenkurkun saaristo /Outer Bothnian Threshold (Finland)
Calanques (France)
Ngulu Atoll Zone A (in Yap, Micronesia)
Kolkheti (Georgia)
Parc Naturel des Mangroves du Fleuve Cacheu (PNTC) (Guinea -Bissau)
Grand Anse (Grenada)
West Coast MNR (Isle of Man)
Campbell + Gahirmatha Sanctuary (India)
Area marina protetta Plemmirio (Natural Marine Reserve in Italy)
Minquiers (Jersey) (UK)
Kabira Bay, Ishigaki Island (Japan)
Chungsan-do (island) Neighboring Water (청산도 주변해역) (South Korea)
West Coast (incl. Soufriere, Rachette Reefs, Petit Piton, Gros Piton and Anse Chastenets) National Park and Marine Management Area in Saint Lucia Island
Bundala Biosphere Reserve (Sri Lanka)
Kuršių marios, Site of Community Importance (Habitats Directive) (Lithuania)
Irbes šaurums Protected Marine Area (Aizsargajama juras teritorija) (Latvia)
Sebkha Bou Areg Permanent Hunting Reserve (Morocco Oriental)
Ailinginae (in Marshall Islands)
Ponta do Ouro (Mozambique)
Etangs des Salines (Martinique)
Norfolk - National Park Zone (Australia)
Sureste de Nicaragua (Reserva de la Biosfera) (Nicaragua)
Cordillera de Coiba (Panama)
Doggersbank (Natuurbeschermingswet) (Netherlands)
Raet (Nasjonalpark in Norway)
Cordillera de Coiba (Panama)
Marine de la Réunion (Réunion)
Lobul sudic al Câmpului de Phyllophora al lui Zernov (Romania)
Russian Arctic (Franz Josef Land)
Yanbu‘ Coastal Conservation Area (Saudi Arabia)
Svalbard East (Svalbard and Jan Mayen, sovereignty of Norway)
Bratten (Habitats Directive in Sweden)
Man o War Shoal Marine Park (Sint Maarten)
Columbus Landfall Marine (Turks and Caicos Islands) (UK)
Hazar State Nature Reserve (in Turkmenistan)
Nino Konis Santana (National Park in Timor-Leste)
Nukufetau (Koga Tapu) Locally Managed Marine Area in Tuvalu
Mangroves-Kisarawe Reserve (Tanzania)
Azovo-Sivashskiy (National Park in Ukraine)
RMS Rhone anchor (Marine Park in British Virgin Islands) (UK)
Ciénagas del Catatumbo (National Park in Venezuela)
Cu Lao Cham Hoi An (Biosphere Reserve in Vietnam)
Prince Edward Islands - Sanctuary Zone (Prince Edward Islands)
Sanganeb Marine National Park and Dungonab Bay - Mukkawar Island Marine National Park (Sudan)

If in addition to the response above, you have additional information (e.g. personal observations, newspaper articles, reports or scientific articles), please do not hesitate to share it with us.

Your response will be highly appreciated; please also be assured that it will be handled with utmost confidentiality, in accordance with UBC’s ethic guidelines. If the question is answered, it will be assumed that consent to participate in this study has been given.
If you have any questions or concerns about what we are asking of you, please contact Dr Daniel Pauly or Veronica Relano, their email address are in this email. If you have any concerns or complaints about your rights while participating in this study, contact the Research Participant Complaint Line in the UBC Office of Research Ethics at 604-822-8598 or if long distance e-mail RSIL at ors.ubc.ca<mailto:RSIL at ors.ubc.ca> or call toll free 1-877-822-8598. The Ethics ID Number of this research is: (H19-03029)

Thank you so much for your help.
Warm Regards,
Veronica.
Veronica Relano-Ecija
v.relano at oceans.ubc.ca<mailto:v.relano at oceans.ubc.ca>
PhD Student, Sea Around Us | Institute for the Oceans and Fisheries
The University of British Columbia | Musqueam Traditional Territory
230 - 2202 Main Mall | Vancouver BC | V6T 1Z4 Canada
www.seaaroundus.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.seaaroundus.org_&d=DwMF-g&c=u6LDEWzohnDQ01ySGnxMzg&r=2reY4vI5r3MnH33NENFcpA&m=dk5lap28iI9Jlw3nRW9-QWN0Dnlx3Cd25tIjo91jbyE&s=h_-8TAcSmnsrY4-GwYI9HN-NTbAFYkF2nJB50JvAXB4&e=> | www.oceans.ubc.ca<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.oceans.ubc.ca_&d=DwMF-g&c=u6LDEWzohnDQ01ySGnxMzg&r=2reY4vI5r3MnH33NENFcpA&m=dk5lap28iI9Jlw3nRW9-QWN0Dnlx3Cd25tIjo91jbyE&s=pC5wXLRajEtVT5CpnmyoDCJIdb6laWGyxCGyrnr8WHM&e=>