[Coral-List] Join Us for #ShutDownSTEM on Wednesday, June 10

Kristen Marhaver kristenmarhaver at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:19:40 UTC 2020

Dear Coral List,

Our community is made of thousands of coral-minded divers, curators,
growers, funders, researchers, activists, conservationists, and
communicators.

Together we are responsible for hundreds of thousands of decisions every
day.

We make decisions about recruiting, hiring, funding, advising, publicizing,
collecting, curating, adminstering, managing, budgeting, growing,
outplanting, hosting, collaborating, authoring, reviewing, editing,
teaching, promoting, supporting, raising, and most importantly, mentoring.

In every decision, we have the power to make change, or to uphold a harmful
status quo.

This Wednesday, June 10, I invite you to put your work on hold for a single
day, and instead make a plan for the future.

How will you make decisions in the future that are more just, equitable,
and inclusive?

Please consider joining the movement to #ShutDownSTEM and
#ShutDownAcademia, for just one day, on Wednesday, June 10. Details on
Twitter, Instagram, Reddit... y'all know the drill.

With Love and Gratitude,
Kristen

Kristen Marhaver, Ph.D.
The Marhaver Lab at CARMABI