[Coral-List] OTEC around coral reefs

Meesters, Erik erik.meesters at wur.nl
Mon Jun 15 19:58:36 UTC 2020

Hi all,
There are now plans for an OTEC facility on Bonaire.

It basically means pumping up cold water from the deep to cool things and discharging warmer water (often shallower).

  *   Here are some examples: https://nelha.hawaii.gov/
  *   http://otecokinawa.com/en/OTEC/WaterUses.html

I can think of a lot of doomsday scenarios, but I'm looking for reports, assessments, thoughts, advice.
Does anyone have experiences with OTEC facilities in the neighbourhood of coral reefs?
it's often presented as the goose with the golden eggs, and governments seem to fall for it easily, but apart from glossy sales talks, I can't find objective reports or EIAs.
Thanks for your responses.
Best wishes,
Erik Meesters
Wageningen Marine Research