[Coral-List] OTEC around coral reefs

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 21:54:40 UTC 2020

Well "close to freezing" means different things to different people.  I was
thinking 4-6 C was "close to freezing."  Freezing for ocean salt water is
about -2.3 C.  For purposes of getting cold water for growing shrimp or
abalone, or air conditioning, or scuba diving 4-6 C is very cold indeed.
It is most of the way from surface temperatures like 27 or 28C down to -2.3
C.   For cooling corals to combat bleaching, it is very cold indeed, in
fact one would need to be mindful that it would kill corals if they were
reduced to that temperature.  As for depth, yes, I was wrong, though I did
say "600 feet or more".  But the point is, you can get water that is plenty
cold enough to do whatever people have proposed to do with it, if you have
deep water nearby.  You wouldn't need 4-6 C for many applications, I'd
think, unless maybe you want to grow Antarctic krill.  Will cost more for
piping to get to those depths, so if not needed, why put the pipe that far
down?  Some places the deep water is not close enough to land.  Cost of
piping is probably the main barrier, cost of pumping is trivial compared to
the heat energy that the water can absorb (the pumping cost is vastly
cheaper than the electricity needed to run air conditioning, but think of
the cost of running a full set of pipes to every building in a city like
Honolulu or Miami.  You'd have to tear the city up.  Prohibitive, not cost
effective.  There are two hotels in French Polynesia that use it for air
conditioning, and love it.   I note that there is a facility on the Big
Island in Hawaii that has long been trying to use the temperature
differential to produce energy.  My understanding is that they haven't been
able to do it in a commercially viable fashion yet.  They've been doing it
for quite a while (decades I think), it's not like they haven't been
trying.  That's  too bad, it is a huge source of energy.  Not everything is
commercially viable.     Cheers,  Doug