[Coral-List] teaching resources during remote learning

Geoff Cook geoffreymcook at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 29 17:20:34 UTC 2020

Hi,
A student of mine who is from Trinidad and Tobago will be unable to perform data collections as result of school closures and travel restrictions stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic. I am reaching out to members of the Coral List to ask if anyone has raw data (i.e., excel spreadsheets) for either coral community and or fish surveys from Trinidad and Tobago that they would be willing/able to share? The assessment of this data would be performed by my student and strictly for learning purposes (i.e., to complete an undergraduate research thesis), so the data does not need not be new or even relatively current. My student would very much like to examine data from the reefs around Trinidad and Tobago because this country is their home.
On a similar note, I am also unable to take students into the water due to travel restrictions stemming from the pandemic. As a workaround, I wanted to ask the members of this community if anyone has been using virtual reality to teach undergraduates about coral reefs? I've a number of VIVE headsets that would enable me to take students on "virtual dives", but I've been unable to locate any experiences that are compatible with VIVE.
Google Expeditions offers a few options, but these appear to require students to use personal smartphones. XL Catlin Seaview Survey offers some virtual dives via their website, but these also have limited options and--as near as I can tell--are restricted to only being viewed via the XL CSS website. I've sent inquiries to both Google Expeditions and XL CSS but have yet to receive a response. I'm hoping someone out there can provide some suggestions.
My sincere thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
I hope that you are all well during these strange times.
Take care,Geoff