[Coral-List] New purpose built spawning set up for your labs

Michael Sweet M.Sweet at derby.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 16:44:54 UTC 2020

Dear Coral List

Some of you may have seen the recent paper by our group which indicated the ability to control spawning ex situ https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/ece3.3538. In these purpose built fully closed systems we have spawned 24 different species of coral to date, including18 species of Acropora and Galaxea fascicularis for example. Now we offer you the chance to do the same, anywhere in the world and for any purpose (research, business, education, trade, hobby, or just for show). Changing the light and temperature profiles will allow you to mimic any reef environment in the world and you can alter the timing of the spawning making it more convenient i.e. you can make them spawn during the daytime. If you obtain multiple systems, you can even get spawning during more than one month of the year. We have now developed mark 2 of these set ups, which come in a ‘plug and play’ format (think IKEA flat packs for coral spawning, research and restoration purposes). We have designed these systems to be packaged up and shipped worldwide. They will fit through any standard doorway and come with high spec equipment to keep your corals as happy as they can be. All you need to do is add water and the corals (or there abouts). We can even give you a detailed manual on how to look after your corals and the set up. The spawning set up can come as a single unit or with the addition of a multi-use embryo rearing, larval recruitment and grow out system, built in the same manner. If interested please contact Prof Michael Sweet m.sweet at derby.ac.uk<mailto:m.sweet at derby.ac.uk>
on behalf of the co-designers Dr Jamie Craggs (Coral Spawning Lab) and Vincent Thomas (Aquarium Connections). It should be noted that this is a joint venture with researchers and a for profit business (Aquarium Connections) and so there is an associated cost for these systems to any interested parties.

We look forward to hearing form you

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and let them know.

Key University contacts: http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/