[Coral-List] Coral-List Digest, Vol 139, Issue 2

Sheppard, Charles Charles.Sheppard at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 22:17:08 UTC 2020

Just as I read Mark Spaldings excellent comment about ICRS providing, for an E registration fee, online access to the Bremen sessions to save on CO2 output, I read on a BBC news feed that "IT now genetates as much CO2 as flying, some calculate more."

We cant win! (Yes, I know most internet is porn, pets and cryptocurrencies, but still.) But flying and internet each generate around 2 to 3 percent of the total global output.  For those who seriously want to reduce their own output, note that animal and dairy agriculture is about 25 percent or more. Someone on a trans Atlantic flight is generating the same CO2 as a large steak or two.

So someone can fly to Bremen, probably business class, and produce less CO2 than the beef fed professor paddling himself to Bremen sitting astride a fallen tree trunk.

Just musing...

Best wishes

Charles Sheppard