[Coral-List] Stop flying????!

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 19:13:34 UTC 2020

And part of our problem is that if and when low-income people have rising
incomes, they start consuming much more, meat and flights.  It is fantastic
that so many millions are being lifted out of poverty.  China would be the
outstanding example.  In terms of consumption, things are going the wrong
way, both flying and eating meat are increasing rapidly, and the number of
low-income people in the world is very large and if and when they have
increasing income, they are likely to also increase consuming.  In my view,
they have as much right to consume these things as the people who already
have high enough incomes to consume.  I don't think we can ethically say:
"I get to consume these but you were poor and so you can't."  But I also am
quite pessimistic about trying to get large numbers of people who are
consuming a lot to reduce consumption, or to get people who have rising
incomes to not start consuming like those who already have high incomes.  I
would love it if we could convince people to reduce consumption.
Absolutely.  But I have little hope that will work.  Governments are under
heavy pressure from citizens, all over the world, to not restrict their
consumption, but rather to stimulate their economies to grow faster.
      Cheers,  Doug

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:33 AM Gaétan Morand via Coral-List <

> Hi,
>
> As we all know, if we want to try and mitigate climate change, we need to
> base our actions on actual information rather than feelings.
> I'm hoping I can contribute to this discussion by bringing in a few facts
> (with sources) on air travel and eating meat.
>
> One serving of beef is responsible for about 3kg of CO2 [1]. Most other
> meats have a lower carbon footprint.
> One return transatlantic flight is responsible for 1 to 1.6 tonne of CO2
> [2], which is the same as 330 to 530 beef steaks.
>
> This means that just one yearly transatlantic return flight offsets the
> emissions savings from being vegan.
>
> Yes, air transport is only responsible for a small part of global
> emissions, but only because a small percentage of people actually fly,
> whereas 90% of people globally eat meat [3].
> For perspective, if every person in the world took just one return
> transatlantic flight per year, it would represent a minimum of 7.5
> Gigatonne of CO2 (the current global emissions are around 36 Gigatonne per
> year [4]).
>
> In conclusion, reducing meat consumption is absolutely a priority as it is
> responsible for about 14.5% (7.1 Gigatonne) of global greenhouse gases
> emissions [5]. But on an individual scale, flying frequently is much worse
> than eating meat.
>
> Gaetan Morand
>
> [1] http://css.umich.edu/factsheets/carbon-footprint-factsheet
> [2]
> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/jul/19/carbon-calculator-how-taking-one-flight-emits-as-much-as-many-people-do-in-a-year
> [3]
> https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2018-09/an_exploration_into_diets_around_the_world.pdf
> [4] https://ourworldindata.org/co2-and-other-greenhouse-gas-emissions
> [5] http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/197623/icode/
>

> ________________________________
> From: Alina Szmant via Coral-List <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
> Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Stop flying????!
>
> Great if people want to stop flying. But ALL aviation is only 2 % of
> global fossil fuel emissions while animal agriculture produces 30 % of
> global emissions,  and animal agriculture account for 60+% of land use
> which means deforestation and habitat destruction, lots of pollution and
> animal suffering.  So go vegan and travel to your heart's content.
>

> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Douglas Fenner
Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

"Already, more people die  <http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/hazstats.shtml>from
heat-related causes in the U.S. than from all other extreme weather events."

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/624643780/phoenix-tries-to-reverse-its-silent-storm-of-heat-deaths

Even 50-year old climate models correctly predicted global warmng
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/12/even-50-year-old-climate-models-correctly-predicted-global-warming?utm_campaign=news_weekly_2019-12-06&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=3113276

"Global warming is manifestly the foremost current threat to coral reefs,
and must be addressed by the global community if reefs as we know them will
have any chance to persist."  Williams et al, 2019, Frontiers in Marine
Science