[Coral-List] Combating the Climate Crisis

Matt Nolan mpnolan at lbl.gov
Thu Mar 12 19:03:52 UTC 2020

I'm perceiving a perception that "we" all can't  come together as one coral
reef community of scientists, managers, policy makers, and
conservationists  NOW and in recent  past years,  due to the $ cost. And
now  some people have inertia against joining due to the harm to the
environment from the consequences of getting there.  And somehow I feel a
certain % of us doesn't get that, and probably won't eve just becasue they
are who they are.  And now with the uncertainty of air travel as a mode of
transportation, and the immediate health risk  to the population as a
whole  which WHO scientists now classify as a pandemic, travelling to
distant conference is a bonafide behavior detrimental to society.

I also have the perception that ICRS has no desire to implement  now
standard modern contrivances as tele-conferencing.  Its their conference,
their decisions to make but I would think anybody of reason intelligence
would be wondering wtf, how can they ignore the ability to reach out to
thousands more in this urgent time of need when the battle for the
environmental future for the planet may have already have been lost. I
would have to conclude, they are just choosing to keep it small and
specific to their select scientific interest which is their prerogative.

Due the funding sources coming from, governments, government being keenly
influenced by business interests, an ostrich head in the sand behavior by
such economic influencers with issues related to the survival of coral
biomes, ICRS, maybe decided smaller is better. I assume less government
funding means less coral scientist , right? Human nature it what it is, if
you have the power there are ways to eliminate having to listen to what you
don't want to hear. I don't have the knowledge to understand the trade-offs
there, but can see that its reasonable that maybe its a correct decision
for that small group.

Any  economic scientist can share with you the benefits of competition.

I'm hoping only to highlight some issues. I sense people waiting  for
something to happen that ought to as is just seems like common sense an
inevitable, so no reason to put time/effort into an alternative. But, sort
of feel like something else is at play, and highlighting, hey this has't
and just isn't going to happen, time for someone to take on some
responsibilty to make some alternative happen. Time is of the essense, too
much at stake.

Now that streaming/tele-conferencing is taken for granted.

>So instead of coming together as one coral reef community of scientists,
managers, policy makers, and conservationists we should compete with each
other’s interests - sounds counter intuitive and counterproductive to me.

I'm saying at this time its apropos to redefine "coming together".   ICRS
appears to be unwilling to make that change. Thus excluding and causeing
the self-exclusion of many.

I ideas espoused and conversed probably the same.

The competion I see is which hotels/airlines get the $ of the coral
scientists.  Someones getting fees to run the organizations involved to.
And for a small set of people at the top of the organisations, who gets to
feel like they are in a postion of power, which I don't care about.

Although, a regional strategy possibly aids in developemnt of some local
leadership.

Maybe competition hurts the ICRS the first year and hurts it good. They
change or don't. Their role they want to play clarified for all.  The
competition, once it exists, can decide how to proceed. Once they have a
viable alternative established. Tradeoffs of what roles are going forward,
is effort expended to make it all happen worth the expense of $ and time,
get made, life goes on.