[Coral-List] So you think you understand coral bleaching?

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 25 20:26:46 UTC 2020

Hi Scott,

Your ideas certainly raise some interesting points. I agree that the reef science community here can sometimes get bogged down discussing how to minimize our carbon footprints, but I was struck most by your assertion that instead, finding a CURE for bleaching should consume “99.9% of the best thinking time” of coral reef scientists. As I view it, coral scientists are in no way resigned to the belief that reducing global carbon emissions is the “sole solution”. If anything, there are already great efforts being made to divert attention away from the need to address climate change and towards an efficacy favoring restoration involving some form of enhanced resistance. These projects may not be based on the FRONT END of the bleaching response as you described, but they are focused on similar goals. In addition, if the favorable symbiotic conditions you seek are dependent on “ensuring a severe limitation of the seawater supply of nutrients” - haven’t we been striving for this all along? It sounds to me like the venerable call for improvements in water quality that many have been advocating for years. Let’s just imagine that the supply of nutrients was miraculously brought under control and water quality was restored. With that elusive goal achieved, wouldn’t it be better to work to reduce carbon emissions and then let nature take its course? Why would we want to turn our backs on trying to solve the existential problem that is climate change with all of its implications for both marine and terrestrial ecosystems in search of a highly improbable “cure” or coral bleaching? What could be better than envisioning a scenario whereby we effectively address climate change AND restore water quality thereby reducing widespread bleaching and outbreaks of coral diseases all in one fell swoop? That’s what I would call going for the gold! If our current crisis with COVID-19 teaches us anything, it should serve as testimony to the connectivity and fragility of life on this planet. A lesson that we would all do well to apply to climate change and the many challenges it presents to us all.

Regards,

Steve

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail