[Coral-List] So you think you understand coral bleaching?

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 30 00:10:30 UTC 2020

Hi Scott,

I think most all agree that “beyond the global imperative to mitigate future atmospheric CO2 emissions there still remains the need for effective local management actions that enhance the resistance and resilience of coral reef communities to the impacts of climate change”. Few would challenge that assumption or the idea that “we need to keep pressing for a more comprehensive understanding of the coral bleaching mechanism”, but in “extending your comments to their thought-provoking extreme”, could you have gone a bit too far?

If coral reef scientists devote virtually all their best thinking (99.9% is what you suggested) to finding “a cure” for coral bleaching, I fear that would have a devastating impact on efforts already underway to address the root causes of the problem. It seems to me that this way of thinking is consistent with the practice of traditional Western medicine which focuses on treating symptoms rather than taking a system-wide approach. Please excuse me if my interpretation seems naive - I’m not a scientist, but I’ve read a number of your papers and your latest hypothesis is most interesting in that it presents a novel way of looking at coral-algae symbiosis.

My question to you would be that although your thesis, if widely accepted , would alter some central restoration strategies, isn’t the ultimate success of any such efforts still dependent on local water quality improvements in combination with global CO2 reductions? And if so, wouldn’t the majority of the best thinking of coral reef scientists be put to better use if applied to those two goals rather than the development of bleach-resistant corals? If we can restore the natural ecological balance, wouldn’t the corals be able take care of the rest without the need for potentially contentious genetic modifications?

Finally, I don’t know why there is cause to characterize another scientist’s efforts as “light-weight, unjustified and damaging” especially considering that I can think of very few, if any in this field who have been more willing to put their reputations on the line by speaking truth to power. I had heard that the coral science community can be ruthless, even viscous at times. I was told that “they’ll eat their own”, but I’ve never really seen it played out. Seems to me that COVID-19 provides more than ample foreshadowing for the value of unity and cooperation in times of crisis. Your enthusiasm for seeking a better understanding of the dynamics involved in coral bleaching and for saving coral reefs from extinction is commendable, but perhaps your appeal would be more effectual if it did not so harshly discredit the work of others who are tirelessly in pursuit of similar goals.

Sincere regards,

Steve

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail