[Coral-List] So you think you understand coral bleaching

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 31 20:28:03 UTC 2020

While I agree with the sentiment that “There is room for innovative, exciting, even noble research by talented scientists along all the frontiers. It needs to be done”. I’m worried that we are losing sight of that important axiom you raised of the precedence of humility over hubris as we march hurriedly into the uncharted waters of coral reef engineering. It seems to me that the coral science community has all but abandoned the role of documenting “humanity’s many crimes against nature” in return for incentivized opportunities that make all kinds of far reaching claims regarding the ability of corals to prosper even in increasingly warming and polluted seas. In your recent blog “Viral pandemics and climate change” you extoll the virtues of inventiveness, but admit that “none of these plans scale up to real solutions for a world that has already lost 50% of its coral and is getting warmer every year, heading towards a +3.5 to +5.0C increase by the end of this century”. My question for you and Scott is a direct one. Considering what we are up against and where we are headed, is it not fanciful, even arrogant to think that we can genetically engineer corals to withstand all of this? Is it not like promising the moon . . . and the stars? In your recent blog “Viral pandemics and climate change” you conclude by saying that “Perhaps, just perhaps, Covid-19 might help us to understand how to work as a global partnership to manage global crises”. In the end, isn’t global action on climate change, water pollution and other major stressors the only real “cure” and the only true solution? Lastly, out here in the non-scientific world, I fear that all the attention bestowed upon restoration and the development of “super-corals” is (perhaps unintentionally) reinforcing the idea that we are well on the way to the promised land so why bother changing our ways or even mentioning causation.

Regards,

Steve

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail