[Coral-List] first captive breeding of ridged cactus coral

Keri O'Neil koneil at flaquarium.org
Sun May 3 22:19:13 UTC 2020

Hello Vassil,

I assure you I have not disappeared, I have only been a bit tied up with personal matters.  In answer to your question, we currently house M. aliciae and M. lamarkiana (presumed based on morphology) and we currently do not keep them separate.  Genetic analysis is being done by partners on all corals, and I think this presents great opportunity to study the possibility and extent of hybridization in the laboratory in the future through controlled experiments.  Although not specifically a goal of this project, the ability to generate predictable spawning events in ex-situ coral populations will allow us to delve further into these reproductive questions, while remaining vigilant of taxonomy and genetics along the way.  As you stated in several of the papers you kindly shared with me, it will take a collaboration of experts from many specialties to save species and coral reefs.

I cannot personally comment on the hyperbole in the story, as the article and statement that were shared were not written by The Florida Aquarium.  I can only presume that people are desperate for good news (or any news other than CoVID) right now, making this hyperbole all the more commonplace in the media.  Something for all of us to be mindful of while trying to share our work with the world.

Keri O'Neil, MS
Manager & Senior Scientist, Coral Conservation Program
701 Channelside
Drive
Tampa, FL 33602
P:813-425-1679