[Coral-List] New paper on the survival of coral outplants

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Mon May 11 17:36:20 UTC 2020

So, I’m wondering if rather than claiming that this project has the potential to “save coral reefs” (or more specifically, A. cervicornis & A. palmata) in parts of the FL Keys, the NRP (NOAA Recovery Plan) should instead define its “criteria for success” in a more concise and transparent way as it moves forward. Although the paper points to a number of legitimate arguments for continuing with the restoration effort, the conclusions reached in this paper make it clear that in order to have any chance of “success” global and local stressors such as climate change, land-based pollutants and over-fishing must be addressed. In light of this, doesn’t the CRF (Coral Restoration Foundation) and the NRP have some responsibility to point to the fact that they cannot hope to meet or exceed the criteria set at regional scales without mitigation of major stressors and some level of natural recovery?

Regards,

Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail