[Coral-List] New paper on the survival of coral outplants

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Mon May 11 18:53:13 UTC 2020

Thanks Bruno. Reading the last two sentences does not give me a lot of hope
- "Results support NRP conclusions that *reducing stressors is required
before significant population growth and recovery will occur*. Until then,
outplanting protects against local extinction and helps to maintain genetic
diversity in the wild). From what I have been reading on the listserve,
even well-conceived mitigation efforts do not seem sufficient to eliminate
the kinds of stresses up front that created the problem in the first place.
I've seen too many outplanting projects create rapidly spreading colonies
only to be followed by unexpected and unexplained collapse. Thus my snarky
comment in the 80s about "putting residents back into still-burning
buildings" still seems realistic.

Best,

Dennis

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 8:41 AM Bruno, John via Coral-List <