[Coral-List] Coastal & Marine Biology Research Continuity Planning During the COVID-19 Pandemic -- PLEASE participate in a survey

Deborah Gochfeld gochfeld at olemiss.edu
Tue May 12 14:48:49 UTC 2020

Dear Fellow Marine Biologists:

I have been asked to post the following survey on behalf of researchers at Rutgers.

A SURVEY: WHAT IMPACT HAS COVID HAD ON ECOLOGY RESEARCH AND RESEARCHERS?

Continuity planning is part of "business".   Is it part of "research" or "conservation" as well?

COVID-19 has had profound impacts on many aspects of society.  Since we ourselves have been grounded by the pandemic and the lockdown response to the pandemic, we are surveying researchers in a variety of disciplines across the globe to investigate the impacts of the pandemic on many aspects of field and laboratory research and practice. The survey takes about 15 minutes and covers various aspects of marine research that may be impacted. Similar surveys have been sent to herpetologists, ornithologists and other field researchers worldwide.

Please fill out the survey even if COVID-19 has had little or no impact on your work or life.

There are opportunities to elaborate on answers, make suggestions, and describe any novel approaches you have taken to conduct your research.

The survey methodology has been approved by the Rutgers University Institutional Review Board.  You can read our Institutional Review Board required text, and then start the survey at the bottom of page 1.  You can stop at any time by scrolling to the end and hitting SUBMIT.

Use this anonymous link below to start the survey (Qualtrics will not capture your email).

https://rutgers.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9AcC8q8j46hCHzv

We will be presenting the results of the survey at a society meeting, hopefully in person.  We are already planning a follow-up survey for early next year.

We will present the results at scientific meetings (hopefully in person to a live audience) and in a summary report.

JOANNA BURGER

Michael Gochfeld

Rutgers University

burger at biology.rutgers.edu