[Coral-List] Media hyperbole in Coral Science

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Wed May 13 15:07:40 UTC 2020

Hi Colin,

“We aren't always going to be happy with the way a reporter relays the story from the mouth of a scientist. But it is a shame that we scientists spend so much time and effort looking inward at ourselves and trying to find who to blame when the importance of a 'feel good story' is overstated”.

While I agree in part with your sentiments, there is a big difference between media reporting and science. Science, by definition is data driven and objective. I have yet to see a scientific paper using satire to drive home a point as was the case in the 2016 Outside Magazine article on the death of the GBR.

I would argue that scientists have an even more pronounced responsibility to lay out the facts than the media does. Everyone knows (or should know) that the media today is skewed with various networks catering to every political persuasion. Science is supposed to be different.

There is room for optimism, but we must be sure that it is well placed and fact based or soon, like with the news, societies won’t be able to differentiate between “fake science” and the real thing.

Regards,

Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail