[Coral-List] The passing of Dr. Ian Macintyre

Paul Hearty kaisdad04 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 20:53:20 UTC 2020

So sad to hear this! Condolences to his friends and family.  A great
scientist and inspiration to many young scientists.

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 4:44 PM William Precht via Coral-List <

> Dear Coral-List,
>

> It is with deep sorrow that I inform you of the passing of Dr. Ian
> Macintyre.  Ian was one of the giants in the field of coral reef science  I
> have attached a copy of Ian's obituary, released by his family.

> Dr. Ian Macintyre, former research scientist in NMNH’s Department of
> Paleobiology, passed away on May 14, two weeks short of his 85th birthday.
> He spent 40 official years in the department, and five subsequent years as
> emeritus, all of which he often referred to as the best years of his life.
>
> Ian was born in Venezuela, moved to Britain at a young age, and then
> Barbados, which his family managed to reach in 1939 just before World War
> II broke out. There he spent many after-school hours watching the local oil
> company’s geologist pick microfossils out of samples and decided that was
> the life for him. At war’s end, he attended secondary school in Scotland,
> then  Queen’s University in Canada, where he graduated with a B.Sc. in
> Geological Engineering in 1957. He spent the next six and a half years as
> an exploration geologist with Shell Oil Company in Western Canada.
>
>       In 1963, he loaded his wife, infant daughter, and dog into his car
> and drove east to become a graduate student at McGill University, where he
> received his Ph.D. in 1967. Next came a post-doctoral position at the Duke
> University Marine Laboratory in Beaufort, N.C., and finally his dream job
> in Smithsonian’s NMNH. When he arrived at the museum, his first
> responsibility was to manage an NSF pre-proposal grant to develop a
> long-term, multidisciplinary, and multi-institutional study of coral-reef
> ecosystems. Subsequently, he participated in the development of a
> computerized coral-reef ecosystem model that integrated all aspects of
> coral reef research and that became the catalyst for many future reef
> studies. He also helped in identifying Carrie Bow Cay on the Belizean
> Barrier Reef for NMNH’s field station, established in 1972—still an active
> facility that has provided field support for scores of publications on
> coral reef and mangrove investigations.
>
>       Between 1971 and 2012, Ian completed 67 field trips, all involving
> extensive diving and enabling him to pursue his research goal: to elucidate
> Holocene coral-reef history. To this end, he pioneered a new approach in
> the 1970s to reveal the internal structure of coral reefs through the use
> of a submersible diver-operated hydraulic drill. This new direction sparked
> similar studies of Holocene reef growth worldwide. He was one of the first
> to recognize the key role of submarine lithification in coral reefs.
> His scientific
> contributions also provided new and important understanding in the areas of
> sea-level history, bioerosion, diagenesis of reef carbonates,
> sclerochronology, coral growth in relation to water motion and irradiance
> fields, skeletal diagenesis in calcareous algae, and the formation of
> [...]

Dr. Paul J. Hearty  (on Research Gate & Google Scholar)

Adjunct, Geol. Sci., Jackson School, U TX Austin

*Veritas temporis filia*