[Coral-List] Passing of Ian Macintyre

Glynn, Peter W. pglynn at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue May 19 13:31:22 UTC 2020

GMorn Coral Listers,

I thought a couple of stories of my working in the field with Ian, on the growth history of Caribbean coral reefs, would be of interest.  As most of you know, UW drilling and excavation always involves a bit of "blood, sweat and tears".

We had the tripod set up and were drilling on the algal ridge at the Holandes Reef in San Blas, Panama.  A huge set of waves started breaking on the reef front, they swept through our drilling rig, and then carried Ian across the reef flat.  I swam to Ian to offer help, and found him inspecting a deep gash on his leg, from high on his thigh to nearly his ankle in length.  This cut was caused by being swept across a sharp limestone parapet on the lee side of the reef front.  The gash would have been worse if it weren't for the heavy pants we always wore when drilling.  OK, time to abandon the drilling operation and get back to the boat for treatment.  Ian, said "no way, we need to finish drilling this hole now before the tide rises and sea conditions worsen" (paraphrased).  I stood speechless and stunned; we continued drilling and secured the core before conditions worsened.

A second experience, researching Cobbler's Reef on the SE coast of Barbados.  Like the San Blas region in Panama, there was only a narrow seasonal window for working on the exposed coastline of Barbados.  Ian hired a local fisherman and his panga for transporting us along the reef.  He found only one fisherman willing to take on this job.  No piers or docks were available to board the panga.  So, every morning we needed to swim through the breaking surf to meet the panga beyond the beach.  This involved carrying all of our equipment, heaving it up onto the panga, and then hoisting ourselves over the gunnels.  At the end of the day, we then needed to repeat this exercise to get back onto the beach!  I was amazed at Ian's strength and stamina.  I needed his help on more than one occasion.

Ian's determination, strength and good nature always amazed me.  It was my distinct privilege to have worked with this great scientist and gentleman.

Best to all, PWGlynn