[Coral-List] Media hyperbole in Coral Science

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Fri May 22 12:26:29 UTC 2020

Hi Colin,

Let me try to clarify just two main points.

“ . . . where we disagree is that you suggest that coral scientists should be shouldering blame for any coral optimism presented in science news media”.

I do not think that coral scientists should be “blamed” for “coral optimism” in the media. They should encourage all the realistic hopes and assurances that they can. However, I do believe that some coral scientists and other practitioners systematically overstate the efficacy of their restoration/outplanting projects and in doing so are sending a damaging and counterproductive message to the public at large. Furthermore, I humbly, but firmly believe that inaccurate messaging can do more harm than good to the overall effort to conserve and protect the world’s coral reef ecosystems. Some manifestations of this problem are solely the responsibility of the media and their insatiable quest for sensationalism, but in other cases scientists and restoration advocates have been complicit in that they have deflected attention away from major stressors while subtlety suggesting that their outplanted frags might just save coral reefs on their own.

“ . . . what frustrates me is the lack of any solutions you might propose as to how we can more accurately present both the positive AND negative news on corals to the public”.

I think you have already alluded to the solution. Simply put, we should more forcefully insist on a more accurate and measured portrayal of both the positive and negative news on corals as presented to the public. I previously mentioned that a recent paper on survivorship of corals outplanted in the Florida Keys does just that. It points out all the potential benefits of their efforts, but goes on to emphasize that in order to have any hope of long-term success, both local and global stressors will have to be addressed. Coral scientists don’t have to be reminded of the urgent need to confront climate change, water quality issues and more, but public perceptions can easily become captivated by the illusory notion that we can somehow “save coral reefs” without factoring in causation.

By all means be optimistic, but let’s also recognize that in order to have any realistic chance of saving coral reefs we will have to build the political will to effectively address major stressors and that can’t be done without the coral science community’s commitment to full disclosure. I realize that just mentioning climate change and water pollution risks further polarization. I imagine it can profoundly affect popular support and even dry up some much needed sources of funding, but what I fear most is that by not consistently emphasizing the need to address these issues - we are in affect hastening the end of coral reef ecosystems as we know them.

Sincere regards,

Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail