[Coral-List] For graduate and undergraduate coral reef scientists

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 20:50:28 UTC 2020

Thank you for this David!
     Reading older literature and digging things out is called good
scholarship, and it used to be valued.
     I have long not had institutional access to any journals, and the
nearest big university library is thousands of miles away.  But I can get
almost everything.  I subscribe to Coral Reefs, the only journal that
exclusively has coral reef articles, I subscribe to online only, I can
download any article they have ever published, I subscribe for 3 years at a
time to get a discount, and I am in an developing country so I get a
discount.  It is very cheap per article, and it gets me membership in the
society and a discount on ICRS.  What's not to like???  For other articles,
I start with Google Scholar, where I can get a lot, but not everything.  If
I can't get it that way, I go to the journal website, find the article, and
look for an author's email, then write them, asking for a pdf copy.  They
always send me one.  Anyone who wants to can do the same thing.  You can
get virtually everything.
     One danger with open-access journals is the predatory journals, which
are thriving because it costs almost nothing to produce a paper online,
while print versions cost real money.  Any journal charging more than a
pittance for online only is pocketing the rest.  But be careful that the
journal you use actually does peer review.
Cheers, Doug

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 3:10 AM David Blakeway via Coral-List <