[Coral-List] Sea Secrets Lecture (FREE) Nov 10th - From Panic to Solutions: Climate, COVID-19 and Racism with Dr. Robin Bell

University of Miami RSMAS mps.rsmas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 19:28:19 UTC 2020

Good afternoon everyone,

Join us for our 2nd Special Edition of Sea Secrets lectures at the
University of Miami's Rosenstiel School (last one this Fall): From Panic to
Solutions: Climate, COVID-19, and Racism with Dr. Robin Bell. - Sign up for
the lecture here (FREE):  <http://goog_984144673>
https://miami.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_QSJoRGVQRQ6RCWyisI7hhA

*Special Edition of Sea Secrets Lecture Series*
*Tuesday, November 10, 2020 6:00pm-7:00pm  *
*From Panic to Solutions: Climate, COVID-19 and Racism  *
*Robin E. Bell, Ph.D.  *
PGI Lamont Research Professor
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory Columbia University

This year has been a rough year as we together recognized our global
connectivity. Whether it is the ice in Antarctica causing the sea levels to
inch up in Miami, the COVID virus rearranging our lives or the recognition
of widespread systemic racism. The remarkable link between these three is
that solutions rest in individual, institution and cultural shifts that are
within our reach.

Dr. Robin Bell received her undergraduate degree in geology from Middlebury
College in Vermont and her Ph.D. in geophysics from Columbia University in
1989. Bell has explored our planet’s ice sheets, developed innovative
technology and improved the scientific culture for women. Bell has
coordinated ten major aero-geophysical expeditions to Antarctica and
Greenland, studying what makes ice sheets collapse, discovering a volcano
beneath the West Antarctic ice sheet and several large lakes beneath two
miles of ice, and demonstrating that ice sheets can thicken from below. She
led a Lamont team to map the Hudson River from Staten Island to Albany. She
was the first women to chair the National Academy of Science’s Polar
Research Board (2002-2008) and launched the International Polar Year
2007-2009 that brought together over 50,000 scientists from around the
globe. Bell is president of the American Geophysical Union, the largest
organization of Earth and space scientists in the world.
<https://development.miami.edu/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fmiami.zoom.us%2fwebinar%2fregister%2fWN_QSJoRGVQRQ6RCWyisI7hhA&srcid=4834&srctid=1&erid=f25279be-e3ad-4e46-a6a8-842c8c5ce1f8&trid=f25279be-e3ad-4e46-a6a8-842c8c5ce1f8>

Any questions, just ask!

Sincerely,

Josh Coco, Ed. D.
Executive Director, Rosenstiel School