[Coral-List] For graduate and undergraduate coral reef scientists

David Blakeway fathom5marineresearch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 22:26:54 UTC 2020

Doug, you are right a lot of it (by no means virtually everything) can be
obtained by alternative methods. I just don't think those workarounds
should be necessary. And I believe many in the publishing game would shut
down the workarounds if they could. Perhaps I am misrepresenting them. But
the dissemination of (largely taxpayer-funded) knowledge should NOT be a
for-profit exercise.
Requests to authors have been a little hit or miss for me, 20-30% of them
don't respond. And a couple have said "let me know if you have any
questions" then haven't answered my questions. Maybe you have a nicer email
manner :)
Yep there seem to be plenty of low-quality journals, but they are easy to
avoid. PeerJ has been alright for me so far. An interesting aspect is that
they publish the drafts and reviews alongside the article - it's not
compulsory but most authors do it. It probably results in more thorough
reviews. Reviewers can still remain anonymous if they wish.

Tomas, thanks for your research links. I have downloaded them all (some I
had already). Wallace and Wallacea were and are exceptional.

Vassil - Hello and thank you!