[Coral-List] For graduate and undergraduate coral reef scientists

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 23:54:18 UTC 2020

I agree.  Nearly all our research is publicly funded by taxpayers, and
publishing is a hugely profitable enterprise.  They nearly strangle
libraries, which again are usually publicly funded, even private
universities are nor-for-profit.
Cheers, Doug

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 11:28 AM David Blakeway <
fathom5marineresearch at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> reading
>>> the original papers will ensure you don’t mis-cite them. For example,
>>> with
>>> respect to the Droxler & Jorry article, the reality is that although
>>> Darwin
>>> believed his fringing-barrier-atoll model explained most atolls (and it
>>> probably really does), he knew it did not explain them all, because he
>>> had
>>> explored the anomalies. Droxler & Jorry are in fact arguing against a
>>> deeply ingrained *interpretation* of Darwin. Thirdly, and most
>>> importantly,
>>> the historic literature contains many great ideas that have either been
>>> forgotten or were not understood at the time. The best of these, if they
>>> come to light, will be revolutionary and will generate entire new fields
>>> of
>>> research. Nineteenth-century literature is particularly rich, because
>>> naturalists of the time were very broadly educated, and really got out
>>> there (Darwin’s Beagle voyage lasted nearly five years, as did von
>>> Humboldt’s exploration of the Americas). And some of this literature is
>>> great reading! You will be holding your breath at von Kotzebue’s (1821)
>>> account of sounding barrier reef fronts in the South Seas - extremely
>>> dangerous work, all for science! (one wonders what the crew were
>>> thinking).
>>>
>>>  *3.       **Understand (distortions in) the publication and citation
>>> system*
>>>
>>> If you are a student within an academic institution you likely have
>>> unlimited access to scientific publications, because your institution is
>>> paying large annual subscriptions to the publishers. Once you leave
>>> academia, or get a job in less wealthy academia, you will find that most
>>> publications become inaccessible unless you can pay 20-30 $/€ per
>>> article.
>>> It’s difficult to do effective research in these circumstances, and it’s
>>> very frustrating knowing the information is there but held to ransom.
>>> This
>>> situation has arisen because a small group of companies control the
>>> extremely profitable business of academic publishing. They have
>>> manoeuvred
>>> into the incredible position of being able to charge their workforce (us)
>>> to provide goods (hard won knowledge in the form of articles) that they
>>> can
>>> sell an unlimited number of times until copyright expires! Which I think
>>> might be never! (copyright for individuals normally expires 70 years
>>> after
>>> death but I don’t believe that applies once you’ve signed over copyright
>>> a company). These companies are understandably protective of their
>>> business
>>> model and will attempt to crush, through legal action, anyone trying to
>>> circumvent their system by providing universal free access to the
>>> (e.g. Aaron Swartz, Alexandra Elbakyan). Of course, publishing companies