[Coral-List] Newly discovered reef (?) is taller than a skyscraper

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Thu Nov 5 17:34:05 UTC 2020

I have to check this article again for details, but it appears that the newly found structure is technically a guyot, a flat top submerged seamount. Guyots are usually volcanoes that are emergent when formed, then get flattened as they subside below sea level by wave action and subaerial erosion. If this happens in the tropics in an area favorable to coral reef formation, you basically get the Darwinian atoll formation sequence. If after the atoll stage the structure continues to subside, it becomes a drowned reef like the many found to the NW of the Hawaiian Island chain. Rick Grigg wrote extensively about all this and came up with the Darwin Point as the latitude and depth at which coral reef growth can't keep up with subsidence (or sea level rise). I am guessing that is the origin of this newly found structure. I am pretty sure there are hundreds more out there that humans haven't come across yet.

In my opinion, they are just drowned reefs that will suffer the same fate of any deeper reef as sea level and ocean temperatures continue to rise. Again, a lot of hype by the press and people with little background in coral reef geology (or marine geology in general). New seamount but not novel or promising or different.

CISME IS NOW SOLD BY QUBIT SYSTEMS; https://qubitbiology.com/cisme/

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
Website:  www.cisme-instruments.com

Videos:  CISME Promotional Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s
CISME Short version Demo Video 3:00 min  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4SqS7yC08