[Coral-List] For graduate and undergraduate coral reef scientists

David Blakeway fathom5marineresearch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 14:12:04 UTC 2020

I’d like to follow up on our discussion about the value of historic
literature by providing some examples. Actually, I haven’t found any
examples of historic literature generating new research, but this is
telling because there are plenty that should have. One topic already
mentioned by Tomas is coral colonisation and reef development in turbid
muddy habitats. It is now known, through research in North Queensland and
elsewhere over the last three decades, that coral reefs are growing
spectacularly well in such habitats, refuting the clear-water coral reef
paradigm. However, in publications through 1890-1931, the Dutch researchers
de Sluiter, Umbgrove and Verwey had already completely described the
phenomenon, including the inference that corals may be obtaining nutrition
from the turbid water.

Another example is the recent discovery of coral reef hypoxia and tropical
dead zones by Altieri et al. (2017). This is a great piece of work that has
sparked multiple research programs. But the field *should* have begun with
Verwey (again!, 1931) whose comprehensive reef surveys and lab experiments
showed that, in his words: “…*the oxygen consumption of a reef can be so
considerable that the water around it may become deprived of a large part
of its oxygen.*” and “…*the quantity of oxygen, present in the water, must
often be the limiting factor in reef growth*.”

I will emphasise here that, although I obviously have an interest in
historic coral reef literature, I’ve only read a fraction of it, and
nothing in other languages. The obvious inference is that there are many
more ground-breaking ideas to be rediscovered and that, at least in older
fields such as ecology, *the best way forward is to look back*. There are
also clear implications for newer fields; an important one being the
recognition that some of today’s ideas will be tomorrow’s undiscovered
gems. How do great ideas slip away undetected? No doubt there are several
reasons, but I’m pretty sure the present H-index-driven blizzard of
publications isn’t helping.

For students reading this, especially those interested in reef ecology, I
have an agenda in presenting the two examples above and it’s this: in both
cases the phenomenon is expressed in reef geomorphology. In the turbid
muddy reefs example, these reefs often colonise the seaward edges of
sedimentary structures such as delta lobes (see India’s Gulf of Kachchh for
some awesome specimens). Deltas are, obviously, turbid muddy environments,
and it’s extremely unlikely there’s any hard substrate beneath the reefs
because deltas are built of sediment. So straight away, from geomorphology
alone, you can deduce that coral reefs are thriving (or at least existing)
in turbid water, and that they have colonised unconsolidated sediment, not
rock.

The hypoxia example is more complex because in this case the reef doesn’t
adopt the underlying morphology, it builds the morphology itself. At least
that is what I think. You can see my reasoning in this preprint:
https://peerj.com/preprints/26794/ (critical feedback appreciated). This
self-constructing aspect of reefs is interesting because it potentially
allows you to derive aspects of local-scale ecology from large-scale reef
geomorphology—reef geomorphology becomes a symbolic language, conveying
ecological information. I would love to see young ecologists start decoding
this information! If you’re interested, but concerned that you don’t know
enough geology, don’t worry. Geological text can be dry and dense, with
lots of jargon (like ecology), but conceptually it is not difficult. In
fact, perhaps there’s no such thing as coral reef geology, it’s just
ecology plus time (just trying to get a bite here :)

Altieri AH, Harrison SB, Seemann J, Collin R, Diaz RJ, Knowlton N. 2017.
Tropical dead zones and mass mortalities on coral reefs. Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences. 114:3660–3665.
https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1621517114

*Verwey*, J, *1931*. *Coral reef* studies. II. The *depth* of *coral reefs* in
relation to their *oxygen*. consumption and the penetration of light in
water. Treubia, 13(2): 169-198