[Coral-List] Newly discovered reef

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Fri Nov 6 20:07:03 UTC 2020

Thank you Alina for setting the record straight as you often do. There
are few of us old timers left as new profs and students begin
rediscovering coral reefs. I wonder who still maintains a reprint
collection of the older papers? My collection was extensive but just
before COVID struck I changed offices and was encouraged to discard my
older reprints. They would not fit in my new smaller office. I dumped 25
file drawers (nearly a ton of precious reprints.)

Yes, that article about the “newly discovered coral reef” made the
papershere as well as elsewhere. Yes Alina, it has to be a guyot. If not
a guyot then a piece of the Great Barrier reef. How many young reef
worker know that even the Great Barrier Reef consists of a thin skin of
Holocene buildup over a Tertiary substrate. The thickest coral buildups
(up to around 300 ft thick) are patch reefs growing in the deep lagoon
behind the Great Barrier Reef.The barrier it self, like our Florida Keys
reefs are composed of thin coral build ups.

I began spearfishing on the Florida reefs as a teenager in the early
1950s. Everything looked like a coral reef to me. However, in recent
years after doing extensive coring and seismic surveys with the USGS we
discovered vast stretches of the so-called Florida Keys reefs are
actually exposed Pleistocene coral buildups that formed 125,000 years
ago. They were then exposed by a huge drop in sea level until between
6,000 and 7,000 when Holocene sea level world-wide began rising over the
dead reefs. Only in those places (mainly named reefs with lighthouses)
growing over previous topographic highs(created by Pleistocene coral)
did Holocene reefs grow thicker (up to 30 -40 ft. thick) And even in
those reefs, for example Molasses Reef which is one of the most famous
coral reefs in the Keys, the thin layer of sand in the groves between
the Holocene coral spurs directly overlies Pleistocene coral. Similar to
the Australian coral reef, the thickest reefs in the Keys consist of
patches in the lagoon area behind the linear outer reefs that have spurs
and grooves on their seaward sides. Of course our lagoon areas behind
the outer reef chain are no where near the depths found behind the
Australian Barrier Reef.

Some years ago I did a mission in the Aquarius underwater habitat which
is situated seaward of the main outer reef line and lies in 50-55 ft of
water. With support from divers lowering equipment from the surface,
Jack Kindinger and I core drilled down through 49 feet of coral. What
did we find? Roughly 6 inches of Holocene (mainly a crust of laminated
red brown caliche. (Caliche forms on dry land) The remainder of the 49
ft core consisted of Pleistocene head corals. We had expected to find
/Acropora palmata/ but found none. This remains a mystery to be solved.
In all cases our cores showed the outer Florida reef tract is underlain
by Pleistocene head corals like that supporting the underwater habitat.

In more recent years Toth, et al. (2018) at the USGS St Petersburg
office carbon dated our USGS collection of coral cores and determined
that the outer Florida coral reefshutdown 3,000 years ago.

I am reminded of this every time I read a new article about efforts to
transplant corals to our now mostly dead coral reefs. That the main
builders are no longer building coral reefs does not mean they are no
long prime dive sites. There are still sponges, sea whips, fans,
coraline algae, etc., and beautiful schools of fish and many
invertebrates. Go diving with tourists and listen to what they talk
about. It’s the Fish! The key element is clear Gulfstream water that
allows tourist divers to observe these colorful wonders. Although
transplanting may be futile, especially in our life-time, the research
involved is causing coral scientists to learn more about the secretes of
what corals require to remain alive. Hopefully we will learn why corals
began dying 3,000 years ago. Gene

--
No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor