[Coral-List] Newly discovered reef

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 23:01:23 UTC 2020

Gene,
    What you write about how the modern coral reefs are thin accumulations
on top of older formations, fits with what I've read a number of other
places.  You say that in Florida they are on top of older coral.  I think
of Enewetok Atoll in the Marshall Is. where the first drill hole was
drilled all the way down nearly a mile to the underlying volcanic rock
which I assume was basalt.  So nearly a mile thick of carbonate.  Surely on
Einewetok, the recent coral reef is a thin layer just like in Florida and
the Great Barrier Reef.  But it is on a very thick layer of carbonates,
which I presume are predominantly coral reef material, I believe there is
evidence deep in the core of exposure to air (some terrestrial items, maybe
seeds?).  So some portion, maybe a lot, of that mile thick carbonate is
coral reef which was alive in shallow water at an earlier time.  I presume
a similar situation in Florida and the Great Barrier Reef, though I don't
know how far down carbonates extend and whether it is all coral reef
material.  But when people say "the reef is very thin" it seems to me that
what they are saying is that the most recent layer of reef is very thin,
with reef below it deposited much earlier at a previous sea level high
stand likely.  A very thick accumulation like that at Enewetok which has 60
million year old carbonate at the bottom, is likely a very long sequence of
reef growth layers piled on top of each other.  Saying that the reef is
very thin could lead people to think the whole reef accumulation is thin,
which obviously is not the case.  Instead it is the case that periods of
active reef growth are interspersed with periods without reef growth, but
that it is a stack of many reef growth periods.  If a person wanted to say
the whole thing was "a reef" that wouldn't be far from the truth would it?
Though it could mislead people into thinking reef growth was continuous,
which it was not.  On the other hand, the thin most recent coral reef
construction is on top of a whole deep pile of previous coral reef
constructions and the whole thing could be considered a "coral reef".  Or
could it?
     Does this make any sense?  Have I gone astray?   Thanks!  Cheers,  Doug

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 10:38 AM Eugene Shinn via Coral-List <